Where the stories start...

Saturday, August 29, 2026

The opposite of discipline is not freedom, it is dependence

The opposite of discipline is dependence  -Seth Capehart

The Siamese-twin of dependency is resentment.

Dr Capehart makes the point that medical science is very good at keeping the husk alive but cannot keep it healthy without your cooperation. It is entirely possible to be feeble and miserable for fifteen years before the Grim Reaper comes to harvest you.

I am not talking about people like my readers K and H who had strokes and are heroically battling. I am talking about the person who passively expects technology to fix all of their problems with no contribution from the patient. They swoon and demand that others catch them.

I had conversations with "grasshoppers" and heard them tell me "I am going to live-large until I can't and then I will commit suicide. I have my doubts. Why would she, in the eleventh hour of her life, do something so out-of-character?

Like the old thrill seekers are known to say "I would have taken better care of my body if I had known I was going to live this long."

World food status

Not all doom-and-gloom for 2026! Next year might be different. 

USDA forecast 

Stockpile carried over from previous year 

2026 production 

United States, incorporating data from the most recent NASS Crop Production report from results in a reduction of 1.77 million MT for total coarse grains production (from 2025). Note that the corn belt started getting rain in late-July after months of low precipitation.

For Russia, strengthening indicators of plant health—measured using normalized difference vegetation indices (NDVIs)—across a number of coarse grain producing-regions contribute to raised barley and corn yields and an overall larger production outlook. If realized, Russia’s 2026/27 corn harvest will be record large at 17.2 million MT. Favorable conditions for crop development were experienced across much of Russia’s winter grain belt, as well as the Urals and Volga regions of the spring crop production zones.

Partially offsetting production gains for Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, the Middle East, and Sub-Saharan Africa (Zambia is projected to harvest a record-large corn crop)!!!, coarse grain production for the European Union is cut significantly this month, on extreme hot and dry weather that has further eroded coarse grain yield prospects for a number of countries,
including France.
 

On the basis of newly-released official data from Companhia Nacional de Abastecimento (CONAB) and Instituto Mato-grossense de Economia Agropecuária (IMEA), 2025/26 corn production for Brazil is raised 2.0 million MT to 140.0 million. Larger 2025/26 production is attributable to a sizable boost for the second (safrinha) crop corn... 

Today 

I am picking tomatoes and canning them as soup-base. They are going into pint jars. ***Update: 18 pints of soup-base just finished up in the canner with another pint or so for us to enjoy tonight***

My stretch goal is to dig another row of potatoes and to till the patch of ground they were in.

Lifting notes

I wore long compression socks. No issues encountered. After my usual warm up I did one set at 205 pounds. Then two sets of 215. Then one set at 225. I attempted to take video but was not successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.