Where the stories start...

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Exercise notes

I went for a 2 mile run yesterday. I loaded up with technology. I strapped on my $13 wristwatch AND I carried a step counter.

The first half-mile was a struggle. My legs felt like bricks with no spring. i was chugging along. The time was 7 minutes and some-odd-seconds. The mile mark was 13 minutes and some-odd-seconds. The two mile mark was 25 minutes and 11 seconds.

The step-count was 1620ish steps-per-mile or 6.6 feet (2m) per stride.

The last mile of the adventure was the walk-back. I walked the first 1/4 mile to payback some of the oxygen debt. The I sprinted the distance between two utility poles, about 80 yards, and then walked the next 160 yards. I did that three times.

The first sprint was a replay of the first 1/4 mile of the run. It sucked. My left calf was complaining that it COULDN'T do it. It was a liar. 

Tomorrow is a lifting day. Note to self: Remember to wear long compression socks. 

Grocery delivery

The next item on the agenda was to work in the garden with Quicksilver and Mrs ERJ to pick up potatoes and put them in 7 gallon, fabric planting-bags. Then the three of us delivered them to "Brooke" and "Kristin".

By an incredible stroke of good fortune, "Brooke" and Quicksilver's cousins were at home. Not only that, but their pig had given birth to 11 piglets five days earlier. Quicksilver was a hero for delivering the potatoes. She and her three cousins played with the baby pigs for the next hour. 

It took some fancy dancing, but we were able to leave without buying any of the piglets. The main thing that saved us is that they were not Hampshire or Duroc crosses. Small-framed, heritage breeds are not my cup-of-tea. However, if anybody is interested in Kunekune pigs, I know a guy... 

The "Kristin" drop-off was a fly-by affair. I parked, trotted over and left the bag of potatoes on their front porch. Mrs ERJ texted after we left informing Kristin of the gift.

Apples and pears ripening early

The apples look like they are almost two weeks ahead of my expectations. Time waits for no man or woman. 

Cash flow

Unexpected truck repairs and the work done by the contractor both experienced mission-creep. I am dragging my feet sending off a purchase to Amazon, primarily to ensure that it lands on next-month's bill. The order I would have hit the "send" button on two weeks ago is still twiddling its thumbs, waiting.

I am seeing some advantages. I have more time to question "Do I really need that?" and "Do I need that many?". Another advantage is that there are some small items that benefit from the free-shipping option of a larger order. If I only made one purchase a month, then I can think about how I want to solve a problem and give the solution time to evolve.

A simple example: The Ruger SR22 and the Kel-Tec P-17 are very similar in size but not identical. A polymer holster designed for an SR22 might need slight modifications to securely hold a P-17. Those modifications can be made with a laminated mandrel inserted into the holster and the judicious application of heat from an electric heat-gun. Having a month to think it through results in the most elegant (i.e., easiest for a lazy person to make) mandrel. 

6 comments:

  1. Your post sent me to Amazon to re-visit an item I left in my cart to simmer. It is now deleted after not ageing well. I often do this to get past the "I want" stage to the "I really do need that" stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Galloway method of running might interest you. There's at least one book out there but the really short version of the program is easy. Run a couple of minutes and then walk a minute, basically. He's got training programs in the book for half-marathon and marathon workups, progressively adding to distance every week and gradually working up to it. https://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
    I'm a few years behind you but gave it a try in my 50s, and found it a really good method for going distance and getting more exercise in without injury. Might be something helpful.
    Tom from East Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elegant or efficient... lazy doesn't do it. Wise waits until the design has ripened to maximum efficiency. This is not BS. Many times I'll have a project and some of the resources. But I don't pull the trigger until I have everything I need. I can't stand unfinished projects. Anyway, sometimes I gotta put it on a back burner mentally and let it simmer until the design or process firms up in my mind. So your holster deal might not be laziness, it could be the wisdom of waiting and thinking until the odds of success on the first attempt increase. That'll mean less wasted resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Locally Kunekune piglets are 300 each and you must buy them as pairs as they are very social animals.

    I've brought meat from that farms. Very tasty mostly grass fed pork.

    What does your guy sell his pairs for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is researching local prices. He doesn't know yet.

      Delete
  5. I had to look...
    https://www.academy.com/p/kel-tec-p17-22lr-rimfire-pistol
    https://www.academy.com/p/ruger-sr22-22-lr-rimfire-pistol?sku=22-lr-4-black

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.