My anatomy is dragging this morning. Pulling weeds is hard work and uses muscles that I don't normally exercise.
The weather-guessers are promising an inch of rain tomorrow. We will see.
This is prime-time to control yellow jacket populations. Their numbers explode through August and September. There are countless videos on streaming platforms regarding various traps that involve bait (fish guts, canned cat-food, ham, hotdogs...) and soapy water. It is easiest to spot the ground nests in the late evening when the light backlights the beasts and they circle in for landings. It is a great excuse for sitting on the east end of your lawn drinking a beverage or savoring a cigar. They generally nest in sandy soils that are slightly elevated above the surrounding lawn.
I should pull some more weeds today and cut some wood but I think I need another cup of coffee first. This is the kind of morning when I would walk the property with Zeus and we would discuss the important things in life.
ERJ, there was an community service opportunity at the Community Garden last night (I have to volunteer 8 hours a year as part of the deal). Only an hour of pulling weeds - but funny how those particular leg muscles are precisely the ones that I apparently use very infrequently.
ReplyDeleteI noticed a yellow jacket ground nest the other day while mowing the lawn. I went out yesterday evening with some insect dust, which workers will carry into the nest to kill them all, but didn’t have to use it. Overnight, a skunk had dug up the nest and eaten it. Now I just need to fill the hole.
ReplyDeleteAnother reason why you miss the best dog in the world.
ReplyDeleteFitty
Dogs are a hard loss. It seems they integrate so completely into our lives you don't realize until they are not there anymore.
ReplyDelete