Where the stories start...

▼

Friday, October 9, 2026

October .EQ. Potatoes, Persimmons, Raspberries and Apples

 

In Russia, they have folk-songs about raspberries.
Alternating bites. Persimmon in Quicksilver's right hand. Bunch of ripe raspberries in her left.

Life is very, very good. Especially if you are blessed to be a grandparent.

I got another 100 feet of potato row dug. I really need to start writing things down. The north half of the potato patch was Lehigh and the southwest 1/4 was Kennebec. My memory was that the west end was Lehigh and the northeast quarter was Kennebec.

I really want to be sure to keep at least 40 pounds of Lehigh to plant next season. I can get Kennebec seed potatoes locally, so I don't need to save seed potatoes from them. 

Today's plan is to take Quicksilver apple picking and to dig another 100' of potatoes.

 

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy the grands while they are young. Smiling energetic enthusiasm is infectious - you become young again as well when they share their new 'discoveries' with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always kept a notebook in the barn next to the garden, and recorded how much I planted where, fertilizing schedule, yield, problems with bugs , drought. It helped a lot.
    I bet QS also had a big smile too, besides her handfuls of goodness.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you didn't write it down, how can you tell the difference between Lehigh and Kennebec as they look very similar in the pictures to me?

    Reading the Lehigh it looks like I might have a new potato next year if I can find a source. All so far are out of stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interior color is light-to-medium yellow on Lehigh. Bright-white on Kennebec. Lehigh also seems more resistant to scab.

      Delete
    2. Have any source for this Lehigh potato friend? All I've found say out of stock.

      And you had me at more resistant to blight.

      Delete
    3. Look at your sources again in November/December. The spuds are still in the ground. They have to dig them and take inventory before they go up for sale. I think I bought mine from Fedco which is in Maine. Maine Potato Lady also has them (https://www.mainepotatolady.com/shop-online/late-season-seed-potatoes)

      Delete
  4. That is a fine way to spend a day, ERJ. You are indeed a blessed man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up here in North Maine.
    My Dad was the first commercial seed grower of the Kennebec variety back in the late 40s-early 50s. Made a pisspotfull of money and probably decided to have another child in '54. (Me).
    Ha!
    They were the first variety that was suited to making potato chips that kept a fairly light color.
    Nowadays, Frito-Lay develops their own varieties, trialing thousands of seedlings every year.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.