Carrots and rutabagas went into the bottom of the pot first. They take longest to cook. I added some chicken bouillon to the water for flavor. I put a cover on the pot and checked it after half an hour and then at five minute increments.
All amounts are "by eye".
When the carrots could be pierced with a paring knife, I added the potatoes and sausage. When the potatoes could be pierced by the paring knife, I cooked the red cabbage separately in a casserole dish in the microwave. I wanted the potatoes and other vegetables to remain brightly colored.
I added a dollop of butter and "tossed" the contents to mix the layers.
Mrs ERJ enjoyed the meal and the total amount was about 8 quarts of food.


Nice trick cooking the cabbage outside the pot as not to dye all the rest.
ReplyDeleteNice looking meal
Looks great ERJ!
ReplyDeleteI have about zero experience with rutabagas. They strike me as similar to turnips, of which I am not a fan.
Rutabagas Easy to grow, leaves are edible, you can even take a leaf from each plant from time to time during growing season for boiled greens. Leaves dry easily and ground up make nice add ins for your soups and such. Roots are simple to store a milk crate in a cool dark dry room for fine eating all winter long.
DeleteSNIP Year 2 – Flowering and seed pod formation:
If the plant is left in the ground after the root is harvested, it will “bolt” — sending up a tall flower stalk in late summer or early fall. This stalk produces seed pods (siliques) that can be harvested for seeds.
I've found carefully harvesting a few of the best looking ones and putting them into a 5 gallon pail of damp sand keeps them viable for re-planting next winter for seeds.
Old school farmers used to bank them with straw and soil until spring.
SERIOUS Vit C vegetables.
Nice! I brown my sausage and use that 'grease' as a seasoning for the pot... I also use andouille sausage.
ReplyDelete