Where the stories start...

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Lots of little pieces

Yesterday's work-tickets

At the gym

I went to the gym twice. Once to walk with Mrs ERJ. The other time to lift. The walking went fine. The lifting...well, it just wasn't my day.

My maintenance routine is to warm-up with six reps of 135 (no straps), six reps of 185 (no straps), then four sets of six reps of 205 (with straps).

Even at the first rep of 135 I thought "This feels heavy!" By the second rep I was pretty sure that I was not going to be able to do my full routine.

When I got to the 205 set I compressed the rest of the work-out to 1 X 205, 1 x 210, 1 X 215 and then 1 X 220. I simple kept adding five pounds to each lift until I was pretty sure that I would not be able to do the next.

Then I bailed out. Better to show up, have a shortened session and go home unhurt than to try to push-through and end up injured.

I voted in the primary

I suspect that the legacy Democrats are in a panic. The more radical Senate candidate won the primary even though the legacy Dems endorsed the slightly less crazy candidate. Their creation is eating them.

I picked tomatoes (2.5 kg or about 5.5 pounds. That makes about 2.7kg for the season)

I culled tomato vines and tied up shoots.

I ran water to the trickle irrigation in the Eaton Rapids orchard

I finished cutting, splitting and stacking the Honey Locust.

I started disassembling pallets for their lumber. 

I ran errands with Mrs ERJ. It isn't that she NEEDS me to run those errands, but it is a good time to connect. For one thing, I cannot be playing on my laptop or running a chainsaw while driving. She is jolly good company.

What did not happen

I did not drive out to the Upper and Hill Orchards and do any maintenance.

I did not bring back any spruce firewood (great for getting fires going)

I did not scatter any turnip seeds. 

Wildlife

I am astonished by how quickly the local wildlife figured out that Zeus is no longer on duty. Our yard is flooded with woodchucks and deer. I never realized how intimidating the look, smell and sound of a dog was.

It is difficult to overstate how attractive tall zinnias like California Giant are to butterflies. They appear to favor the red ones but that might be my imagination.

Today's work-tickets

Finish breaking down the last pallet for wood. Remove nails.

Split some ash and start replenishing the woodpile in the breezeway.

Locally, ground-chuck is selling for about $6 a pound

Empty and reset woodchuck traps as required.

Weed garden 

Declutter horizontal surfaces 

11 comments:

  1. What do use for bait to trap the woodchuck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I place them across the entrance to their dens. You can find them by looking for fresh dirt. If you find a den and are not sure, you can scatter some sticks or other litter in them and the 'chucks will clean them out if they are using them.

      Delete
    2. When I grew broccoli, the woodchucks would eat every plant. Maybe use that as bait? 😀
      SNH

      Delete
  2. You do a ton of work, more than most!
    I’m in PT now, and I’m surprised at how much effort, or the later impact, comes from small exercises that don’t seem to do much. Next day I’m sore.
    Dogs and cats do keep some wildlife away. After our cat died, our house was overrun with mice. Had to set traps every night and clean up every morning.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  3. ERJ, standard warning about listening to your body (which you did). The times I have injured myself have been after I failed to listen to my body and tried to power through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "ground chuck" caption is as good as the one there other day you had on feeding pigs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on exercising the ol’ noggin at the gym today😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Ground-chuck" hahaha. Wait, $6 per pound? Have any readers tried roast ground hog? I had three opportunities recently and decided I'd rather get my stew meat from my usual sources. Although, the one trying to dig through the garage door did look quite healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as the left's cheating machine is intact and functional...which it is...they are NOT panicking. They are planning, they intend to retake control of Congress this fall. And since traitor Thune won't allow the SAVE act to pass they will almost certainly succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to remove pallet nails with a air compressor powered piston gun. Now I just cut around the nails, save the good wood and use the nailed nubs in the burn barrel with the yard waste. I use the piston gun now if I am trying to save the wood for some side project.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.