Where the stories start...

Thursday, July 16, 2026

Some pictures from the County Fair

 

Smoke from the fire in northwestern Ontario

Not crowded at all

Closeup of a cooling station

Same station from farther back

The display was made from fiber-art. All of the display sampes were knitted.

A practical sewing project

Another denim dress with classic lines

A basket woven from Black Ash, some strips natural, other dyed.

Some photos

More photos

4-H Shooting Sports

A close-up showing some of the images
As Mrs ERJ and I were leaving, we saw the Military Recruiting booths.

I stopped and chatted with a Navy representative, last name of DuPont. I was not able to determine his rank.

We talked a little bit about Hegseth's push to test military personnel for testosterone. Link

One of the electricians I worked with had been diagnosed with low T. After the doctor prescribed supplemental T, he needed three hours less sleep a night and still had more pep than before.

To satisfy my curiosity, I asked DuPont "What is the longest period that you have had to remain awake in one stretch?"

"I was once required to be awake for 68 hours straight. I am a medic and I was supporting a Marine unit that was unable to re-link with the rest of the unit. My patient had lost a lot of blood and had second and third degree burns. Protocol required that I check vitals every five minutes and push more IV fluids when he needed them."

The recruiter standing next to him said "You got me beat. I did 48 hours at least twice." That recruiter was a Figherfighter-Trainer, so I assume that occurred when he was either fighting a fire or was in a simulation situation.

They also touched on the fact that military are exposed to toxic chemicals more often than civilians. Many of those chemicals, especially the halogenated ones, often have hormone-like effects which can interfere with natural hormone production.

I don't want to sound snarky, but the Progressive applauded when Biden's military used tax-payer money to inject women with male hormones and men with women's hormones. It seems disingenuous to feign angst when Hegseth proposes monitoring testosterone. 

7 comments:

  1. Babylon Bee headline: Hegseth Orders Any Military Personnel With Low Testosterone Be Transferred To The Navy‬

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, those were 'short' days... 72 hours for me more than once... John Q. Public doesn't 'get' what really goes on in the military in combat... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Old NFO said. I had three nights in a row with one hour of sleep each night. Did that twice. Didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is a lot of value in sharing "your longest day" in the military. Please, if you served, chime in.

    The Firefighter dude (not DuPont) said that a 24 hour, physically active "General Quarters" drill was a mandatory part of Navy boot-camp. It wasn't sitting behind a monitor playing video games or watching movies. It was lugging chains and climbing walls activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smoke is pretty bad here in the Green Bay area. Lots of events cancelled, people hunkering down in the AC if they can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they had corn dogs.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Often attended the Ionia Free Fair with my grandmother. Probably spoiled me for paying for the Eaton County Fair. Though I did throw up on my first date there in 9th grade. There was no second date.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.