Where the stories start...

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Moving forward, sometimes slowly but moving nevertheless

I underperformed on work-tickets yesterday

The trip to the gym went well but left me wrung out. When I was in PT after an auto accident, the PT people informed me that the number of repetitions is less important than the time-under-tension.

Taking that into the weight room, I slowly float the weight off the floor, hold it for two or three breaths at lock-out and then I slowly float it down to gently kiss the floor before floating it back up. I figure about ten seconds per rep.

I was rushing a little bit through my last set because I could feel myself running out of gas.

Then we had a visitor who, it turned out, was camping at our house waiting for somebody to call them back.

I got the cabbage planted.

I got one hour of weeding done. And then I nicked my finger. I went into the house and scrubbed the cut and stopped the bleeding. By then, my behind had grown roots and I could not pull myself out of the recliner.

End result: Only half the goal for weeding and no wood cut and split.

Some days are like that.

Today's work-tickets

I have a volunteer to work in the Upper Orchard burning brush. That means I will be doing other things there.

I will lug water to the baby trees, move bigger wood to the side of the orchard where a neighbor will collect it for firewood. I might even get to mulching some of the trees and broadcasting turnip seeds beneath the trees.

If I am feeling peppy when I get home I will do some more weeding in the potato patch. 

4 comments:

  1. Getting older is a lot of work. It takes me twice as long to get half as much done anymore. And that's on a good day. --ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have completed all your work tickets, but you didn't have an accident cutting or splitting wood. Sometimes calling it early is the right thing to do.

    Jim_R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!

      Taking a break is survival as we age.
      If the brake lasts 2 day, That's okay too

      Delete
  3. At. 76 with back surgery and almost loosing a foot to an infection age for me includes a wheeled walker for long outdoor trips, confining my gardening to two hoop houses and, a green house that I can tend sitting on a stool. I can split kindling and fill boxes sitting on the walker and hauling stuff around with tractor and bucket. I use the seat on the walker to haul bags of wood or chicken feed and water to the chickens. You do what you can!

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.