Two of the decisions that I have to make as a blogger are to decide how much information that I share and how "heroic" I make myself look.
I tend to "under-share" the first. On the second point I am fully aware that people whose narrative always paints them as the hero are guilty of two sins. The first sin is that they are liars. That sin is (usually) forgivable if the lie is highly entertaining and they aren't doing it for personal gain. Sadly, most of those kinds of liars are insufferable boors. And that is the second sin, to be a boor.
How my day went
The contractor showed up at 10:00 a.m. on-the-dot.
He performed a meticulous site inspection. Things started going sideways when he was attempting to ascertain the size, depth and location of a certain underground feature. He was stymied by the dry clay fill on the site and the abundance of rock. The chore was further complicated by the object not being close to the surface.
His visit was complicated by the fact that he had another job-site to visit at 1:00 p.m. in another part of the state. After two hours of unsuccessfully attempting to locate the underground object, he punted. He authorized me to look for it.
It was like a game of Battleship.
I had it wrapped up by 5:00 p.m. And frankly, I was whipped. I am not used to that kind of heavy digging. Several times I found myself out-of-breath, usually after loosening up a layer of soil with a mattock prior to shoveling it out of the hole.
The rest of the story
I dug a row of deep divots on a 2' grid across the region the contractor had determined was the most likely place for the object.
I filled the holes with water and then went to eat lunch and take a nap.
I woke up at 3:00 p.m. and started driving a 4' piece of sharpened rebar into the muddy bottom of the divots. The top of the object proved to be 36" below grade!
Once I had determined 0-0-x-x-x-x-0-0, I dug a trench between the 0-x on each end and filled the trench with water. I goofed around for about a half-hour (OK, I caught my breath and drank Gatorade, that that doesn't sound as cool).
I walked the rebar along the length of the trench on 3" increments until I found, approximately, the outline of the object.
I took some photos. Then I took a shower. Then I emailed the information to the contractor so he can write an intelligent quote. Boom! 5:00 p.m.
But if you knew this would cost you money...
You might ask, "If you knew that this information might increase the price of the quote, why didn't you fudge the info in your favor?"
Good question, Smedley.
Suppose that I told him that the object's dimensions were smaller than it actually is. He shows up with a crew and equipment and they cannot knock it out in one day. Furthermore, suppose the equipment he hauled in from halfway across the state is not adequate to the task.
As a businessman, the the contractor will include contingencies in the quote. For example, he might quote based on the assumption of one day, in-and-out. He will quote based on standard hourly rates for different types of equipment.
So it is entirely possible that fudging the numbers could more than double my final cost of this part of the project. If he cannot get it done in one day. If he has to come back the second day with more capable equipment with higher standard hourly rates.
For what it is worth, the contractor offered me a job. I think he was half-kidding. And I think he was half serious. He spends 20% of his time in a vehicle driving around the state, gathering info and making quotes. I could save him a butt-load of time driving (which is not productive) and gathering the site information.
Shortness of breath
That question has to be one of the dumbest question in a medical intake. It is absolutely devoid of context.
There is a world of difference between being short-of-breath if it happens walking down the driveway to pick up your mail or if it happens because you are dragging a deer out of the woods or burying the body of somebody's ex-boyfriend in heavy, rocky soil.



Ok then...
ReplyDeleteEarlier this year I dug my septic tank lids out with my skid steer, less than an hour. The pumpers were very thankful when they saw the pile of hard dirt and rocks.
ReplyDeleteThe company only charges $35.00 for them to hand dig it. Wow.
That is cheap... $50/hr for them to dig around here. I put in the risers and lids after the first time!
DeleteIn general, I have found it beneficial to be honest about the size and scope of work. From someone that has to come in and give opinions and make judgements, it is often based on the information of others. Arriving at the decision point to find out there was additional information withheld - or worse, after the initial decision - never makes a better process. At best, you can possibly correct the issue with more time and money. At worst, people will start avoiding you.
ReplyDeleteI hate that shortness of breath question from my doctor. She wants orders various tests and follow-up appointments. Geez… yea I’m short of breath. I’m old. I’m carrying a laundry basket up 2 flights of stairs. I shoveled snow for 45 minutes. Short of breath is normal. Recovery is quick.
ReplyDeleteSouthern NH
Depending on the number of ex-boyfriends, a track hoe maybe a good investment. It also can be used for other activities around the farm.
ReplyDeleteAs to the shortness of breath question; context is important. However, sometimes it's a good idea to get things " checked out" regardless of the context.
ReplyDeleteFirst let me state I am not a Dr. and I have never played one on tv. However, let me give you two real world examples.
First person. Male, late 50s, a "mans man'. Hunts, Fishes, works with his dogs, works a full time job, and jogs every day . ( Side note, he has an outdoor shower and certain women in the neighborhood take note when he is taking a quick rinse off after a jog). No known medical conditions.
Second person, Male, late 60s, typical " dad bod", overweight, not known to have run since boot camp in 1980. Used to be active but last 20 years has been mostly at a computer desk. Known to have medically treated high blood pressure, had a knee replaced, sometimes but rarely complains of shortness of breath.
My point? ? The first male dropped dead a couple of years ago from an undiagnosed heart condition. The second male was told , hey, how about having a cardiologist perform a stress test...just to make sure nothing is going on. Promptly " flunked" the stress test and 3 other diagnostic tests. Had a stent put in ( two 75% blockages) and other than bitching that they took away his salt shaker is doing fine. Maybe better than fine.
So, my non-professional advice, if you are over 55 and especially if you are over 65 SERIOUSLY consider at least having a stress test !! At worst you waste 3 or so hours of time, at best it may save your life !
There's a difference between shortness of breath and being out of breath. For me, a mid-60's man in decent shape, the shortness of breath happened suddenly. I was used to 5-7 miles of walking per day on my job, as well as 10-20 stories of stairclimbing. Out of nowhere, I was gasping for air after climbing one flight of stairs. I was breathing, but I felt like I wasn't getting any air. I also had what felt like a cramp in the back of my left leg. The cramp went away, as did the shortness of breath, but I did have some swelling in that leg. My son, a CT tech, said "Dad, go to the ER. You have a clot in your leg. I see these every day." I went to the ER. The doc looked at my leg and said "Yup. I can tell you right now that you have a clot. I'll have an ultrasound done on it to be sure. By the way, how long have you had the cough?" I'd had the cough for several months and had been to the doctor about it three times. The doc was hung on a "long COVID" diagnosis. The ER doc ordered a CT on my chest. After the CT, he said I'd need to be transferred to another hospital because the one I was at wasn't equipped to deal with a HUGE pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my lungs)!. I was at that other hospital for three days on really strong blood thinners. Being that it was a university hospital, doctors kept bringing in other doctors, nurses, and med students to check me out and look at my chart. I asked the nurse why I was having so many "visitors." She said "Because people who have what you do usually aren't breathing anymore. You truly dodged a bullet, Mr. Forester!" Even the hematologist who saw me afterward looked at the CT scan results and said "JESUS! This thing was HUGE!"
ReplyDeleteNo cause was found for the clot. Every specialist I saw said the same thing: "You don't fit the profile for this!"
I'm relating this as a cautionary tale. We all know what "out of breath" feels like. If your "out of breath" experience feels different, SOMETHING'S WRONG. Have it checked out! Oh; and sometimes it's good to listen to your kid. My son's advice truly saved my life!
Honesty is always easier... just sayin...
ReplyDelete