Thursday, December 8, 2022

All is well that ends well

Mrs ERJ volun-told me that it would make her happy if I installed a TV at a local charity.

Belladonna donated the TV. I ponied up for the DVD player. The Director of Operations purchased the DVD.

I wanted to make a good first-impression; for Mrs ERJ's sake, of course.

The director wanted the TV in the far corner of the waiting-room, facing the doorway. That way potential clients who are walking down the hallway will see the TV and the DVD playing. The mounting hardware I brought would only mount the TV parallel to the wall.

No worries. Mrs ERJ must not be made to look bad. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. Use the credit-card.

A trip to Wal-tucky and I dropped $49.99 on a swiveling TV mount.

I pulled the cover off of the power outlet to find the stud. The center of the stud was 24-1/2" from the corner trim.

I measured in two places and very lightly marked the C/L of the stud with a pencil mark.

Then I tried to run a 3" deck-screw through the TV mounting bracket into the stud.

No bueno. Metal stud. Drat!

This time I made a trip to one of the local farm stores and bought self-drilling, self-tapping screws for pole-barns. As an afterthought, I purchased a drill-bit.

I was pissed off at the checkout. The 1/4" driver (I have several at home) that was priced at $6.99 on the shelf was $14.99 at checkout.  I swallowed hard and pulled out the credit card. Mrs ERJ would not be denied. Excuses don't cut it.

Back at the installation site, I tried the pole-barn screw with no effect. The peanut gallery was a-twitter.

Chuckling, I pulled out the drill bit and zipped through the stud...and pulled out sawdust. What the heck???

The second hole also pulled out sawdust.

It would appear that I either hit the head of a nail or some diagonal bracing (strap) with the first screw.

I felt like a total dope.

Within minutes the TV was installed and hooked up to the DVD player. Fortunately, the Director of Operations had brought along her two sons who were more than happy to connect HDMI cables and program the setup for continuous looping.

It wasn't my best work but it wasn't my worst work either. The customer was happy (elated, in fact) and word will undoubtedly trickle back to Mrs ERJ that I made her look good.

Notes

The charity Mrs ERJ "suggested" I help is one of the local pregnancy centers and the Director of Operations wanted to show the video "The Biology of Prenatal Development". The video was produced by National Geographic and has very high "Production Values". It is slick and smooth.

Blurb: The Biology of Prenatal Development DVD describes human prenatal development through all 38 weeks of pregnancy, emphasizing the first trimester developmental period when all body systems and more than 90 percent of body parts emerge and begin to function.

This is a partial response to the Pro-live-vs-Pro-abortion tension migrating into the retail space.

10 comments:

  1. Amen!!!
    I'm all for judicious excercise of the 1st amendment, so long as it isn't offensive. No doubt the NatGeo flick was very tasteful.
    Last summer we had abortion protesters setup camp in the knoxville market square, with lots of... pictures. Fortunately, 50 yards away from the protest pictures, they had signs warning sensitive viewers, etc.... which I felt was apprpriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Mrs.ERJ. I only wish that I had a Mrs. ERJ in my life instead of a blood sucking pig that I have

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done ERJ. I have more than one round of experience with "The second trip".

    Creativity going forward is the wave of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you hit a metal wire cover? The ones tacked onto studs to protect the wiring going through them? That would make me concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only drove two screws. One was at 5' and the other about 8" straight above it. I pulled "sawdust" with the pilot drill on both holes so I am 99% sure it was a wooden stud.

      The electrical outlet was 4' above the wall and there was a window approx 4' from the corner. I cannot imagine the electrician running the wire at 5'-8" when the receptacle he is wiring will be 15"-to-20" below that.

      I encountered the metal obstacle about 1/2" from the surface, just below the drywall.

      I doubt that they were running MC up, through the wood stud.

      No breakers popped, which is a good sign.

      Delete
  5. Hanging wall items on metal studs is rather challenging. I'm glad you found a wood stud placed where you could complete the job. The video presentation is valuable information. Benjamin Franklin is credited for stating:

    “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn”.

    This video helps show people that just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your work because to do one simple online job, I’m now making over $15k each month! I am aware that you are currently earning a sizable ecd20 sum of money online from a starting capital of $28,800.

    simply check the site——> Www.ProfitGuru7.Com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful. sometimes there is a metal plate protecting a wire or a pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Start creating money from home. It is a terribly nice and simple job. I am a daily student and half time work from home. I made $30,000 last month on-line acting from home. (u220) Everybody will do that job and make additional money by following this:-
    .
    Link and a lot of details... www.EarnCash7.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I getting Paid upto $18953 this week, Working Online at Home. I’m full time Student. I Surprised when my sister's told me about her check that was $97k. It’s really simple to do. Everyone can get this job Check The Details HERE.....LiveJob247

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.