Friday, April 5, 2019

A few notes on writing

I don't know how others write.

For me, I have certain scenes in mind and then write the lead-in. Then the fall-out. Once I have the event fleshed out, I figure out how to bridge from the previous cluster to the one I just wrote.

Mrs ERJ recently advised that I allow the segments to run a little longer when events are moving faster. Character development is all well and good but a thousand words is more than enough.

"Don't leave the readers hanging when the lead is flying." was her advice.

That means some future segments might get a wee bit longish. There was just not a handy place to snip them.

I reserve the right to have an air bubble. So far the words have come easily. Sometimes too easily. It gets awkward when I have three weeks of story queued up. I have been letting is spin down and one or two new characters will be worming their way into the story soon.

Some of the segments wander into areas where I am a rookie. Please, bust my chops. That is the only way I will get better.

Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your “air bubbles” ect. every day. It isn’t broke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Aggie's expression.

    This blog is a treat and good for my mind and soul.

    I learn and m entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still my first stop on the internet highway every day. Always thought provoking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still my first stop on the internet highway every day. Always thought provoking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy them as they are published and look forward to the next day. Your system is working well. Thank you for working so hard on this story line and the previous Calexit stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also look forward to each installment! Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ERJ for writing and sharing and to Mrs. ERJ for being patient and giving you the space to write. I certainly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, I respectfully disagree with Mrs. ERJ - leave the lady on the tracks with the locomotive headed her way until next week (wink).

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.